X-FAB works and participates continuously on research, development and innovation projects in future-oriented technology and product fields. Main topics here are future emission-free and safe mobility, smart energy supply, ultralow power technologies, data security and artificial intelligence for smart sensor systems. Part of the projects are funded by the European Union, DGE (Direction Générale des Entreprises), BPI France (Banque Publique d’Investissement), BMBF (German Ministry of Education and Research), BMWi (German Ministry of Economy and Energy), the Free State of Saxony and the Free State of Thuringia.
These projects involve key national and international research collaborations with leading research institutions and industrial partners along the value chain.
- Topic: Development of a variable and robust foundry process technology for GaN devices with different epitaxial GaN layer on 200 mm silicon wafer
- Goal: Development and optimization of process modules for HEMT technology on 200mm
- Project Partner: NamLab
- Duration: 36 months, July 2018 till June 2021
- Topic: New CMOS technology for highly sensitive thermopile IR arrays
- Goal: The aim of the project is the integration of a new in-situ doped poly layer on the standard process XA035. The new layer should improve the sensitivity of the thermopile and, consequently, product performance.
- Project Partner: Heimann Sensor GmbH (Coordinator) and Fraunhofer Institute for Photonic Microsystems (IPMS)
- Duration: 36 months, October 2018 till September 2021